Mastering the Spiral Abyss in Genshin Impact is a designed goal for many players, aiming for the difficult 36-star completion.
Unlike the common pursuit of "poverty speedruns" or relying heavily on RNG, this guide focuses on building two strong teams for consistent success.
Here's a comprehensive strategy to achieve 36 stars in the Abyss with efficiency and reliability.
A Comprehensive Guide to Achieving 36 Stars in Spiral Abyss: Tips and Team Building
Understand Your Account's Context
Character Inventory Assessment
Begin by taking stock of the characters you have, paying special attention to their elemental types, roles (DPS, support, healer), and constellations.
This inventory will form the basis of your team-building strategy.
Remember, the absence of certain meta characters doesn't spell doom; it simply requires a different approach.
Your account's resources extend beyond characters to include Primogems, Artifacts, Talent Books, Ascension Materials, and Mora.
Efficient resource management means prioritizing investments in characters who offer the most versatility and impact for the Spiral Abyss.
This often means focusing on a solid DPS and versatile supports that can fit into multiple team compositions.
Gacha Limitations and Strategy
The gacha system inherently limits access to certain characters, making advice like "just use this five-star character" impractical for many of you.
Instead, develop a wish strategy that targets banners with high-value characters for the Spiral Abyss.
Don't overlook the importance of weapon banners as well, as the right weapon can significantly enhance a character's performance.
Building Around Your Strongest Characters
Identify the strongest characters in your roster and build teams around them.
This doesn't necessarily mean five-star characters; a well-built four-star character with the right support can outperform a poorly supported five-star character.
Understand the strengths and weaknesses of your top characters and complement them with supports that amplify their effectiveness.
Adapting to Meta Shifts
The Genshin Impact meta evolves with new character releases and game updates.
Stay informed about these changes and be ready to adapt your strategies accordingly.
Sometimes, a newly released four-star character or a previously overlooked character can become a game-changer for your Spiral Abyss runs.
The Pitfalls of Relying on Four-Star Characters
Limited Damage Output
Four-star characters, generally speaking, have lower base stats and scaling compared to five-star units.
This can translate to a noticeable difference in damage output, particularly for DPS roles.
In the Spiral Abyss, where DPS checks are strict and time is of the essence, this limitation can be the difference between achieving a full clear with all stars versus falling short.
Elemental Reaction and Team Synergy Constraints
Many four-star characters can effectively trigger elemental reactions, which are crucial for Spiral Abyss success.
However, the frequency of these reactions often pale in comparison to what five-star characters can achieve, either due to their elemental skills/bursts' cooldowns, energy requirements, or simply the raw power of their abilities.
Team compositions built around enhancing and exploiting these reactions may lack the versatility or adaptability provided by certain five-star characters, limiting strategic options.
A significant challenge with four-star characters is their reliance on constellations to unlock their full potential.
While obtaining duplicates for constellation upgrades is statistically easier for four-star characters due to their higher pull rate, this process still relies on the luck of the draw and can require a substantial investment of Primogems over time.
In contrast, many five-star characters are designed to be highly effective even at C0, allowing for immediate impact without the need for constellation upgrades.
Resource Allocation and Opportunity Cost
Investing in four-star characters requires the same resources (Mora, talent books, ascension materials, artifacts) as five-star characters.
Given the finite nature of these resources, especially for free-to-play or low-spending players, every investment must be carefully considered.
Overcommitting resources to four-star characters, particularly those who may not offer long-term viability in your roster, represents an opportunity cost, potentially delaying the development of more impactful characters.
The meta in Genshin Impact evolves with the introduction of new characters and gameplay mechanics.
Four-star characters, while often receiving adjustments or finding new niches, may not adapt as readily to meta shifts as five-star characters, who frequently introduce new elements or strategies to the game.
This can result in a roster that struggles to keep pace with the evolving demands of high-level content, including the Spiral Abyss.
Strategies for Overcoming These Pitfalls
- Focus on building a diverse roster that includes both four-star and five-star characters, prioritizing those with broad utility and scalability into late-game content.
- Experiment with team compositions that maximize the potential of four-star characters through smart elemental reaction setups, ensuring their contributions are meaningful.
- Allocate resources wisely, ensuring that investments in four-star characters are balanced with the needs of your five-star characters and overall team development.
- Stay informed about game updates and meta shifts, being ready to adapt your strategies and roster to maintain competitiveness in the Spiral Abyss.
Investing in Five-Star Characters
Superior Base Stats and Scaling
Five-star characters have higher base stats and scaling compared to their four-star counterparts.
This inherent advantage translates to greater damage output, survivability, and overall effectiveness in combat.
In the context of the Spiral Abyss, where enemies are tough and DPS checks are strict, the enhanced performance of five-star characters can be the difference between securing a victory and falling short.
Unique and Impactful Abilities
Five-star characters are often designed with unique abilities that can significantly influence the battlefield.
Whether it's Venti's unparalleled crowd control, Zhongli's strong shields and petrification, or Ganyu's devastating AoE Cryo damage, these unique skills offer strategic advantages that can be optimized to overcome the most challenging content, providing flexibility in team composition and strategy.
Elemental Reaction Synergy
The strong abilities of five-star characters not only stand out on their own but also synergize exceptionally well with elemental reactions, a cornerstone of Genshin Impact's combat system.
Investing in characters that can effectively initiate or complement these reactions is key to mastering the Spiral Abyss.
While the meta in Genshin Impact evolves, five-star characters often remain relevant and powerful due to their design and the regular introduction of content that caters to their strengths.
Investing in five-star characters is a long-term strategy that ensures your roster remains competitive and capable of adapting to new challenges, including future updates to the Spiral Abyss and beyond.
Although five-star characters require the same resources for leveling and ascension as four-star characters, their superior performance and versatility mean that your investment grants higher returns.
By focusing on a core roster of five-star characters, you can efficiently use your resources, such as Mora, talent books, and artifacts, to achieve significant power spikes and combat readiness.
Building Your Teams
Identify Core DPS and Elemental Synergies
Your team should be built around a powerful DPS character capable of consistent high damage output.
This is often a five-star character with abilities that scale well into late game.
Choose characters that can create strong elemental reactions with your DPS.
For example, pairing a Cryo DPS with a Hydro character for Freeze reactions or a Pyro DPS with an Electro character for Overloaded reactions.
Understanding which reactions work best against certain enemy types is key.
Incorporate Essential Support Roles
Healer: Every team needs a reliable source of healing to sustain through prolonged fights or high-damage areas. Characters like Qiqi, Jean, or Bennett not only provide healing but also bring additional utility, such as cleansing or attack buffs.
Shielder/Utility: Characters like Zhongli or Diona can provide shields, further reducing the need for healing and allowing your DPS characters to stay in the fight longer without dodging.
Energy Recharge Support: Characters that can generate energy particles efficiently help ensure that your team's elemental bursts are ready when needed. This role is crucial for maintaining high DPS and utility uptime.
Balance Between Flexibility and Specialization
While specializing teams for certain floors or chambers of the Spiral Abyss can yield excellent results, having a degree of flexibility allows you to adjust to unexpected challenges.
For instance, a character like Venti or Sucrose can offer crowd control across various scenarios, making them valuable in multiple team compositions.
For higher floors, consider creating specialized teams designed to counter specific enemy types or shields.
Understanding the Spiral Abyss's rotation and preparing teams that can handle Cryo, Pyro, Electro, or Hydro enemies effectively will significantly increase your success rate.
Invest in Key Four-Star Characters
While five-star characters often take the spotlight, many four-star characters offer unique abilities that can greatly enhance your team's effectiveness. For instance:
- Xingqiu: Offers Hydro application for Freeze or Vaporize comps and damage reduction.
- Fischl: Provides consistent off-field Electro damage and energy generation.
- Bennett: Delivers significant attack buffs and healing, fitting well into almost any team.
Artifact and Domain Farming Strategies
Prioritize Based on Team Needs
Before diving into artifact farming, evaluate the needs of your primary DPS and support characters.
Determine which stats and set bonuses will most benefit your team's overall performance.
Your DPS characters will benefit the most from artifact upgrades.
Prioritize farming domains that offer artifacts sets enhancing DPS performance, such as Gladiator's Finale, Crimson Witch of Flames, or Blizzard Strayer, depending on your DPS character’s elemental alignment.
Efficient Domain Selection
Rather than sticking to one domain, rotate between domains based on the daily artifact needs of your characters.
This approach helps accumulate a variety of useful artifacts over time.
Identify artifact sets that can be beneficial across multiple characters.
For instance, Noblesse Oblige and Viridescent Venerer sets are versatile and can enhance various team compositions, making their respective domains high-value targets for farming.
Understanding Artifact Stats and Optimization
Main Stats Priority
For DPS characters, focus on artifacts with ATK% (Sands), Elemental DMG% (Goblet), and CRIT Rate or CRIT DMG (Circlet) as main stats.
Supports may require different stats like Energy Recharge or Healing Bonus, depending on their role.
Ideal sub-stats include CRIT Rate, CRIT DMG, ATK%, and Energy Recharge.
Prioritize artifacts with these sub-stats, and remember that upgrading artifacts can randomly enhance one of the sub-stats, so choose artifacts with the best initial sub-stats to enhance.
Resource Management for Artifact Leveling
Level up artifacts that have high potential (good main stats and sub-stats) to maximize resource efficiency.
Use lower-star artifacts or those with unfavorable stats as enhancement fodder.
Initially, aim to level your DPS artifacts to at least level 16, where you get significant stat increases.
Support characters' artifacts can initially be leveled to 12, gradually increasing as you solidify your team composition.
Maximize Farming Efficiency
Participate in co-op domain runs to increase efficiency and manage resin usage better.
Co-op can make challenging domains more manageable and speed up the farming process.
Use Condensed Resin for double rewards to save time.
Keep an eye on events that offer artifact farming opportunities, as these can provide high-quality artifacts without the usual resin cost.
Understanding Spiral Abyss 4.4 Mechanics
The 4.4 cycle introduces an Abyssal blessing that counts healing instances, dealing a shockwave of true damage after every 16 counts.
Using a dedicated healer becomes advantageous, transforming healing into an offensive strategy.
Floor 11 Strategy
Anemo characters play a crucial role on Floor 11, primarily due to the 75% Anemo damage bonus.
Their ability to gather enemies, spread elemental reactions, and reduce enemy resistances through Viridescent Venerer set bonuses makes them indispensable.
Use Anemo characters to swirl crucial elements, particularly against groups with innate elemental shields or auras.
Swirling increases damage and spreads elemental effects, making it easier to break shields or set up for powerful reactions.
Abilities that gather enemies, such as Sucrose's or Venti's Elemental Burst, can concentrate foes for more effective AoE attacks from your DPS characters.
This is especially useful in chambers with numerous enemies, allowing for efficient clearing.
Tackling Shields with Elemental Counters
Floor 11 challenges you with enemies that have elemental shields, needing a strategic selection of characters to counter these defenses effectively:
- Hydro for Pyro Shields: Characters like Xingqiu or Barbara can quickly dismantle Pyro shields, making them valuable for chambers featuring Pyro Abyss Mages.
- Electro for Hydro Shields: Electro characters, such as Fischl or Lisa, excel at breaking Hydro shields. Their consistent Electro application is key in chambers with Hydro Abyss Mages or enemies.
- Pyro for Cryo Shields: Pyro characters, including Xiangling or Bennett, are crucial against Cryo shields. Their ability to rapidly melt Cryo defenses is indispensable.
Strategic Team Composition
Crafting teams that balance Anemo support with elemental counters, alongside DPS and healing, is crucial for Floor 11’s success. Here’s an ideal approach:
- Main DPS: Choose a character capable of high AoE or focused damage, depending on the chamber's needs. This could be a Pyro, Electro, or even a Physical DPS, depending on your roster.
- Anemo Support: An Anemo character equipped with the Viridescent Venerer set not only boosts damage but also provides crowd control and elemental resistance reduction.
- Healer: A dedicated healer ensures your team's sustainability, particularly in "defend the monolith" challenges. Characters like Bennett offer the dual benefits of healing and attack boosts.
- Elemental Counter: Based on the enemies anticipated in each half, include a character with the appropriate elemental abilities to counter shields efficiently.
Floor 12 Strategy
Understanding Boss Mechanics
- Movement and Attack Patterns: The Ruin Serpent frequently burrows and reemerges, attacking with swift, powerful strikes. Recognizing the serpent's movement patterns is crucial for timing your attacks and dodging its assaults.
- Weak Points: During certain animations, like when it coils or prepares to strike, the Ruin Serpent exposes weak points. Striking these points can momentarily stun the serpent, providing an opening for heavy damage.
- Energy Drain Projectiles: The serpent launches projectiles that drain character energy upon impact. Dodging these attacks is crucial to maintaining your ability to use Elemental Bursts.
- Airborne Phase: Wanyan enters an airborne phase, during which it's invulnerable to most attacks. Bringing it down requires targeting the elemental orbs it generates or applying an element directly to Wanyan and using an Anemo character to swirl, thereby dealing splash damage to the orbs.
- Weak Point Shooting: When Wanyan is airborne, utilizing a bow character to shoot its weak points can bring it down more swiftly, exposing it to ground attacks.
- Elemental Resistance: After being brought down, Wanyan temporarily weakens to the element used against its orbs, increasing the damage potential from attacks of that element.
Strategic Team Composition
Assemble a team capable of dealing consistent damage, including during the Ruin Serpent’s brief vulnerability windows. Include:
- DPS: A character with high single-target damage output.
- Sub-DPS/Support: Characters that can offer sustained damage or buffs, even when the primary DPS is dodging attacks.
- Healer: Essential for maintaining team health against unpredictable attacks.
- Utility: Consider an Anemo character for crowd control or an Electro character to quickly dispatch any accompanying mobs.
Focus on characters that can target airborne enemies and efficiently break through shields.
- Archer DPS: Essential for targeting Wanyan’s weak points. Characters like Ganyu or Tartaglia (in his ranged stance) are excellent choices.
- Elemental Flexibility: Include characters capable of applying different elements to target Wanyan’s orbs efficiently.
- Anemo Support: Useful for swirling and bringing down Wanyan from its airborne phase.
- Healer/Support: A character to provide healing and possibly additional elemental reactions or buffs.
Achieving 36 stars in the Spiral Abyss is a testament to both strategic planning and skillful execution.
By focusing on building versatile, powerful teams and making informed decisions about resource allocation, you can conquer the Abyss with consistency and efficiency.
Remember, the journey to 36 stars is as much about the journey as it is about the destination, offering valuable lessons and satisfaction with each floor cleared.