A new top-tier unit in Octopath Traveler Champions of the Continent has arrived: EX Primrose (alongside EX Tressa, a skippable hunter unit).
This guide will go into Primrose EX's strengths, weaknesses, recommended abilities, and synergies with other characters.
Let's dive in!
In-Depth Guide to Primrose EX in Octopath Traveler: Champions of the Continent
EX Primrose's Evaluation and Basic Information
- Roles: Support (Tier 1), Healer (Tier 1)
- Weakness: Axe, Lightning
- Job: Apothecary
- Rarity: 5 stars
- Influence: Power
- How to Obtain: Permanent (General Pool - Chance Encounters)
- Hometown: Sunshade
- Story: Memoirs
Strengths of Primrose EX
Buff and Debuff Arsenal
EX Primrose has a variety of buffs and debuffs, enhancing allies' damage output significantly.
Her best buffs include:
- Shower of Primroses: Her ultimate ability is very similar to Lynette's. It raises PAtk and EAtk of the entire front row while also granting HP regen and filling the ultimate technique gauge by 50% (excluding herself).
- Shower of Roses: This ability stands out for its dual functionality. It not only enhances the ultimate gauge by 20% but also provides HP recovery and a 15% speed increase. When boosted to the max, it reaches both the front and back rows, making it a critical ability for longer and more challenging battles. It's similar to Rinyuu's Gracious Prayer thanks to its continuous healing for all allies, but EX Primrose can be freely moved between rows.
- Elevating Elixir (All): A powerful buff that increases PAtk and EAtk of the entire front row by 15% each, while also curing some status ailments. At max boost, it will also restore PAtk, EAtk, PDef, EDef, Crit and Speed.
- Thunderaxe Enhancer II: This ability is essential for enhancing an ally's axe attack and lightning damage. The max boost version further increases the target’s ultimate gauge, making it a strategic choice for setting up powerful attacks.
- Bolstering Smoke: Her last buffing skill, restores HP and raises PDef and EDef of the entire front row.
Her best debuffs include:
- Storm of Lament: A key ability for reducing enemies' lightning resistance, similar to Primrose's Dirge of Dusk II. When max boosted, it can stack this effect, weakening enemies against lightning attacks and synergizing well with lightning-based attackers, while having a moderate chance to inflict paralysis. This is exactly the same ability as Tithi's.
- Ballad of Thunderbolts: Useful for applying a PDef and EDef debuff to all enemies, similar to Primrose's Spell Song.
- Thundering Refrain: Applies 20% EAtk down while dealing lightning damage 3 times to a single target.
- Shocking Step: Deal lightning damage to a random enemy 4 times with a low chance of imparting 15% PAtk with every hit.
Primrose EX has the Quick Wit passive ability, allowing BP recovery when using all her BP.
This enables frequent use of boosted abilities, as you'll never have a 0-BP turn.
Weaknesses of Primrose EX
Dispersed Skill Effects: One of the main drawbacks is the dispersion of buffs across multiple abilities. This dispersion requires more turns to apply all beneficial effects, potentially slowing down the team's momentum in fast-paced battles.
Dependency on Boosts for Full Potential: Many of her impactful buffs are only available at maximum boost, needing careful BP management and planning to maximize her effectiveness.
Lack of Damage Output: Despite her excellent support abilities, EX Primrose does not excel in dealing high damage on her own. This makes her less effective as a standalone attacker, especially compared to more offensively lightning-focused characters like Cyrus or even Elvis.
Best Synergies with Primrose EX
Most DPS Units: Given her range of buffs and debuffs, Primrose EX is a universal support character for most attackers. Her abilities to enhance attack stats and speed make her invaluable for increasing the overall damage output of the team.
Lightning DPS Units: Primrose EX's buffs and debuffs are particularly beneficial for characters specializing in lightning attacks, as she can lower enemies' lightning resistance and boost lightning damage.
- Cyrus: With his multi-elemental attacks and EAtk buffs, Cyrus gains an edge with Primrose EX's support.
- Elvis: A character with strong lightning abilities and recovery skills, Elvis synergizes well with Primrose EX’s buffing capabilities.
Best Equipment for Primrose EX
EX Primrose won't be your main source of damage, so the bonus effects from Fortune and Hell weapons against enemies won't be relevant for her.
For both Orsterra and Hell content, you should equip her with an Axe of Fortune focused on EAtk to maximize her HP recovering abilities. If you crafted one for EX Sofia, you can use it for EX Primrose too.
Awakening Stone Priority
EX Primrose is a general pool unit so you'll be able to get copies of her in all future banners. Said that you don't need awakenings to make her work.
However, her U10 and A4 accessory are extremely powerful.
Her A4 accessory is similar to Hasumi's A4, as it gives any buff cast by its wearer +1 turn duration. It also grants an extra 20 EAtk, 20 Speed and 100 SP, making it a top priority for basically any buffer like her.
If you lack Lynette's U10, I would also recommend going for EX Primrose's U10 first to have a double ultimate buffer in your roster.
How Would I Rate EX Primrose? Is She a Must Pull?
Even though you can still clear most if not all content without her, pulling for her is advised if you lack other top-tier buffers or healers to make your life easier in end-game content.
Her ability to perform multiple roles efficiently makes her an essential character for many team compositions. Whether you're new to the game or looking to enhance your current roster, consider adding Primrose EX for her buffing, debuffing, and healing capabilities.