Welcome to our complete guide on Krauser, a fascinating character from Octopath Traveler: Champions of the Continent.
This article provides a comprehensive evaluation of Krauser, including his recommended abilities, best equipment, and synergy with other characters.
Whether you're new to the game or just looking to improve your Krauser gameplay, this article will be your go-to resource.
Let's dive in!
A Comprehensive Guide to Krauser in Octopath Traveler: Champions of the Continent
- Roles: Attacker (Tier 1)
- Job/Class: Merchant
- Weakness: Spear, Wind
- Rarity: 5 stars
- Influence: Power
- How to Obtain: Limited (Memory Travelers Banner)
- Story: Memoirs
Krauser's Kit and How to Properly Use It
Power Enhancement and Multiattack Enhancement Buffs
Krauser is a unique character that has a couple of unique self-buffs.
By using his 6-hit ST spear attack, he grants himself the "Attack Count +1" status. This status can grant an extra hit when using other specific skills.
Another unique skill is his 4-hit AoE spear attack, which grants Krauser the "Augmented Potency +50%" status. This status grants an extra 50% potency up when using other specific abilities.
His spear nuke, with both status activated, can reach a potency of 2x675 at max boost!
Ultimate Role in Krauser's Kit
We have bad news: These self-buffing skills can only be used once per battle.
However, they can be restored after using Krauser's ultimate, making them available twice or three times per battle, depending on ultimate level.
Krauser's ultimate also raises PAtk, PDef and Speed of himself, making it a powerful buffing ultimate that synergizes well with his kit.
How to optimize the Combo?
Krauser's combo should follow these steps:
- 4-hit AOE spear attack to enhance potency
- 6-hit ST spear attack to add an extra attack
- While another unit breaks the enemy, use the ST spear nuke to deal devastating damage to a single enemy twice.
- Use again the ST spear nuke that strikes twice again but with lower potency.
We follow this setup because on turn 4, Krauser will have more firepower if you can nuke twice rather than nuke once but with higher potency.
After this combo, feel free to use the ultimate and repeat the process again. You'll need 1 extra turn to break the enemy as you'll "waste" a turn by using his ultimate.
Krauser's SP maxes out at 322, and if you plan to do this combo twice in a row, you'll be 28 SP short (even at lvl 100 with all skills enhanced). That's why Krauser will need extra SP from equipment or other characters' passives/abilities.
Note: Krauser should be leveled up to 100 because you'll unlock potency raises for his 2 signature self-buffing skills.
High-Damage Skill Set (Optimized for Boss Battles)
- Ultra Tempest Spear (Costs 75 SP) - Attacks all enemies four times and boosts Krauser's skill potency by 50%.
- Ultra Stalwart Spear (Costs 68 SP) - Attacks a single enemy six times and increases the number of Krauser's attacks by 1.
- Stalwart Spear (Costs 32 SP when enhanced through) - Delivers a powerful spear attack that can reach 1350 potency with both buffs active.
- 3-hit ST Spear Attack (Costs 38 SP) - Strikes an enemy 3-times, a nice to have shield shaving skill if you have A2 Krauser. This ability can't be enhanced by Krauser's buffs.
Best Partner Characters for Krauser
Krauser works best with characters that can exploit an enemy's spear weakness, characters than can buff his spear damage, and characters that passively restore SP (like Rinyuu).
Some characters that synergize well with Krauser in the Global version include:
- W'ludai: Great for shield shaving alongside Krauser. Javelin Rush can be a 5-turn spear attack and she also has a 4-hit spear skill.
- Dorothea: Amplifies Krauser's spear damage by 15% at Max HP with her first passive.
- Richard: Amplifies Krauser's spear damage and PAtk by 15% each at Max HP with his second passive "A King's Pride".
Best Equipment for Krauser
As with most DPS units, Krauser greatly benefits from a high PAtk stat.
For Orsterra content, you should equip him with a Lance of Fortune focused on PAtk to deal as much damage as possible in Arena fights and Tower challenges.
For Hell content, you should equip him with a spear that maximizes damage against hellfiends and raises his damage cap. Currently, the Hollow weapon series is the best for Krauser but that will change soon with the introduction of Thorn series.
Awakening Stone Priority
A1 is a crucial awakening for Krauser if you're using him as DPS. Once awakened, the need for using his ultimate move twice becomes less important as he'll make the fights shorter.
His A4 accessory provides a 15% spear damage up, alongside a valuable spear resistance down for 3 turns at the start of the battle, making it a highly recommended accessory to unlock. Debuffing enemies can make battles much faster, especially when trying to maximize damage output.
A2 provides additional skill options, like bringing his 3-hit ST spear attack to keep him relevant for shield cracking after using his combo. A3 is a nice to have, but the HP is not key for him as he won't usually be your tank. While these awakening tiers are beneficial, they don't offer a huge battle advantage. However, the added flexibility and survivability can't be overlooked.
Upgrading his ultimate move to U10 enables his powerful combo to be used up to three times. While in theory this sounds fantastic, battles often end before you can use the combo 3 times. It's recommended to upgrade to U10 only if you find that you often need the third combo in long battles.
For the most efficient upgrade strategy, you should prioritize: A1 → A4 → U10
Strengths and Weaknesses
- Powerful attacks that can be enhanced by Krauser's abilities.
- Can apply unique buffs to himself while also reducing an enemy's shield by 10 in 2 turns.
- High-power combos require using the ultimate technique for reactivation.
- Limited SP pool (322 Max base SP) prevents frequent use of high-power combos.
How would I rate him?
Despite a few cons, Krauser is a powerful spear attacker that is a great addition to any spear-focused team.
Krauser by himself can deal massive amounts of damage, but you still need to carefully plan your turns and have units that can boost his strengths like Richard or Dorothea.
It's a great addition to the merchant job unit pool, and will help you tackling the new Merchant Tower and future spear-focused challenges.
Krauser is a memory traveler unit, which means you can still pull him when the banner reappears once per month, but keep in mind his pity is 4500 rubies now and will be 6000 rubies in later banners.
Krauser is undeniably a formidable merchant in Octopath Traveler: CotC.
By understanding his best combo, strengths, weaknesses, and synergies with other characters, you can achieve his full potential.
Whether you're planning for a hard challenge or a story boss, this guide ensures you get the most out of Krauser.